We know what you are thinking: “It’s Texas. Do I really need a new heater?” Of course, investing in an entirely new heater can seem a little overwhelming, and even more so if you are trying to make all of the decisions on your own. But we are here to tell you that a new heater can definitely be a worthwhile investment, especially if your current system is old and outdated.
Selecting the right heater for your home is no small task, so it is important to consult with the right HVAC contractor in Bulverde, TX who can walk you through the entire decision-making process. But in the meantime, we have provided you with our guide to selecting a new heater for your home. Keep reading to learn more!
Let’s Get Started
1. Deciding it’s Time to Replace Your Current Heater
The first step in selecting a new heater is to decide whether or not to replace your current system. There are a number of signs that indicate it’s time for a new system. Consider replacing your heater if:
- It’s old: The average lifespan of a heater is anywhere between 10–15 years. If your heater has aged beyond this expected lifespan, it is best to consider replacing it. Your old, outdated heating system is simply not going to be as efficient as a newer model.
- It requires frequent repairs: If you have found yourself calling for repairs more than just a couple of times per year, it could be that your system is simply worn out. As a rule of thumb, if you are spending 50% or more of the cost of a new heater on repairs, it is better to just replace your system.
- You’re paying more for heat: An inefficient heating system will cause your monthly utility bills to rise. We recommend keeping a close eye on your utility bills, for a steady increase can be an indication that it’s time for a new system.
2. Choosing a New Heater
There are dozens of home heating options to choose from, and sorting through all your options can seem quite overwhelming if you don’t know what you are looking for. Here at Riteway Service Company, we offer options such as:
- Furnaces: Furnaces are the most popular heating systems in the United States. Homeowners have the option of installing a gas or electric furnace depending on availability and expense.
- Heat pumps: A heat pump is an excellent choice for homeowners in Texas, as they are very efficient in warmer climates. A heat pump works both as a heater and as an air conditioner, making them quite versatile.
- Ductless systems: Ductless systems provide conditioned air from individual air handlers that are placed in different rooms of the house. Since they don’t rely on a network of ducts, they are great for saving space and conserving energy.
3. Sizing and Installing Your New System
After you have selected the heater of your choice, it is time to have it properly sized and installed. You need to hire a professional for your installation services. Only a professional can properly integrate your new system into your home to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
Don’t forget: Your new system will require annual maintenance and prompt repairs to maintain efficiency and ensure a long and successful service life.
For all your heating needs, contact Riteway Service Company.